PMDC inherited a well established Mineral Wing at the time of its beginning. Late in seventies and throughout eighties there was a hectic work in mineral exploration. During this period PMDC carried out about two dozen exploration schemes on a variety of industrial minerals. It has equally rendered consultation services to cement industry and a host of small private investors. Being a federal agency it collaborates international agencies as a joint venture partner to explore mineral wealth of the country.Some of the important mineral exploration schemes are given hereunder as:
- Malakand Chromite Project
- Dir-Swat Talc & Fluorite Project
- Abrasive Minerals
- Lapidary Development Project
- Duddar Zinc/ Lead Project
- Koh-I-Sultan Sulphur Project
- Good Hope Area Coal Exploration
- Lakhra Coal Exploration & Development Project
- Nagar Parker China Clay
- Exploration of New Salt Areas, Salt Range
- Salt Solution Mining Project, Dulmial
- D. G. Khan Iron Ore Project
- Khushab Bauxite Project
- Mohriwali Graphite Exploration Project
- Indus Sand Gold Project
- Hunza Ruby Project
- Gold and Base Base metal Geochemical Exploration, Northern Areas.
- PMDC has a joint venture with Sarhad Development Authority of the NWF Provincial Government to exploit Rock Salt resources at Nari Poono, Distt. Kohat with its stake as 49%.
- PMDC is a major stake holder (50%) in Lakhra Coal Development Company (LCDC) with Government of Sindh (25%) and WAPDA (25%).
- PMDC has signed an MoU with Metallurgical Construction Corporation of China (MCC) to develop Duddar Lead/ Zinc Project.
- Exploration & Development if Soapstone in Kurram Agency, FATA. (PMDC's share is 30%)
- Exploration & Development of coal deposits in Kurram/Orakzai Agencies in FATA.(PMDC's share is 51%)
Projects Sponsored by FATA Development Authority and being executed by PMDC:
- Exploration & Resource estimation for Coal Sherani Area, F.K.D.I Khan.
- Exploration and Development of Copper in North Waziristan.